[wisb] Crawford Co. Nightjar Survey and Whip-poor-wills in Richland and Sauk Counties

  • From: Aaron Holschbach <aholschbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wis Birdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 07:57:37 -0500

Last night I did the "Rolling Ground" Nightjar Survey (Route #52) in
Eastern Crawford County.  During the survey I only heard one
Whip-poor-will, but on a few stop on my way home I heard an abundance
of Whips in SE Richland and SW Sauk counties.  Here is a summary of my
sightings for the night.

Vernon County
I made a few stops near Readstown in S. Vernon county on my way to my
survey route.
       -Stops: 3
       -Whip-poor-wills: 1

Crawford County
I did my Nightjar Survey between 9:30pm and 11:20pm, and then made a
couple more quick stops further south near the WI River.
       -Stops: 12
       -Whip-poor-wills: 1
       -Other birds: Barred Owl & American Woodcock

Richland County
Between 11:40pm and 12:30am I stopped five places along Hwy 60 west of
Gotham, and then 7 more stops in the pine forest between Gotham and
Lone Rock on Hwy 14/60.  All Whip-poor-wills were heard in the pine
forest, and I got to watch one chasing a moth on the shoulder of the
Hwy.  Heard at least four Whips singing from one location.
       -Stops: 12
       -Whip-poor-wills: 14 (or more)
       -Other birds: Great Horned Owl, American Woodcock, and Willow Flycatchers

Sauk County
I made several stops along Porter Rd. and Kennedy Road between Lone
Rock and Spring Green between 12:40am and 1:10am, with Whip-poor-wills
singing from almost every stop.  The best area was in the pines to the
North and West of Bakken's Pond.
       -Stops: 14
       -Whip-poor-wills: 18 (or more)
       -Other birds: Great Horned Owl, Marsh Wrens, and Ovenbird

Iowa County
I made a few more stops between Spring Green and Arena from 1:20am to 1:40am.
       -Stops: 6
       -Whip-poor-wills: 2
       -Other birds: Great Horned Owls

For the night I ended up with a total of at least 36 Whip-Poor-Wills.
Most all of the stops that I made in Vernon, Richland, Sauk, and Iowa
counties were quick stops - about 1 to 2 minutes each.  I was really
hoping to turn one of the Whips into a Chuck-Wills-Widow, but it
didn't happen.  It was really nice to hear so many Whip-poor-wills.

Aaron Holschbach
Arena
Iowa County