[wisb] Counting "after-the-fact" birds - a summary of discussion on another list

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

(NOTE: I got Peter Fissel's permission in advance before I posted this note to
the list. He asked me to say that he wants this to be the last posting in this
thread, so if you want to reply to me, please do it OFF-LIST).

After Peter ended this thread on WISBIRD, I decided to see what people on the
national BIRDCHAT list thought about counting "after-the-fact" birds. I posed
the following hypothetical question:

"I know people who take photos of flocks of gulls and then later pore over them
on their computer in an attempt to find unusual species. Let's say someone
finds a Ross's Gull in one of their photos. They didn't know there was a Ross's
in the flock when they were in the field, but made an after-the-fact ID from
the photo documentation. Would this Ross's Gull be countable?"

I received 28 responses, both on and off-list. A few people didn't understand
the question, and a few more went off on tangents that didn't address the
question. The vast majority of the rest of the respondents said that the bird
in my hypothetical example would NOT be ABA-countable. Quite a few cited the
ABA "Rule 4" that Peter posted to WISBIRD.

Interestingly, a few people who strongly stated that the bird would NOT be
ABA-countable also said that Rule 4 doesn't *explicitly* say this. Here are a
couple of examples:

* "They don't explicitly address the situation of a bird noticed for the first
time in a photo, however."

* "The rule is ambiguous in that the photo could be construed as 'documented by
the recorder.'"

So I guess it's more of a commonly-accepted interpretation of Rule 4, rather
than a hard and fast rule.

Finally, I've learned that after-the-fact IDs from photos have been
successfully used to document new state records. So, theoretically, a person
could have a state record for a species that's not on his state list. :-)

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee