[wisb] Re: Counting Game - Bohemian Waxwings - ANSWER

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:06:46 -0700

Photo was viewed 215 times and I got 26 replies, many of which were quite good.
The correct answer is 601 birds (plus/minus a couple). 17 respondents
underestimated, 3 were pretty much right on, and 6 guessed high. The median was
550 and the mean 635, which is pretty impressive! All the responses are below.
I have no idea how long folks spent guessing/counting but the birds were in
this flight view for about 5-10 seconds, so judge yourself accordingly. And if
you ever need anything counted, John Leonard, Claudia Giamati, and Karen Etter
Hale are your go-to people, as each guessed 600 birds!

Including birds not pictured, this flock was about 800+ birds, by far the
largest I've seen here this season.

101
300
338