[wisb] Cornucopia - waxwings, White-winged Crossbills, etc

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:59:08 -0800 (PST)

I had 21 species in and around the town of Cornucopia (Bayfield Co.) this
afternoon -- pretty birdy for the north in winter.

WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS continue there in good numbers, I had over 70 birds in
multiple flocks hanging out in the tall spruces on the east half of town. I had
flocks there in the same spot in late December, and I have heard others report
the species since then, so this seems to be a reliable spot to find them, if
crossbills are ever reliable. A dozen PURPLE FINCHES and a BROWN CREEPER were
in the area as well.

I also ran into a bunch of birds on the west side of town where a creek cuts
through a block full of berry trees. 1 BOHEMIAN and 1 CEDAR WAXWING were
hunkered down with a dozen AMERICAN ROBINS and 5 MOURNING DOVES. This spot
looks like a good spot for something else to turn up.

On the road into Meyers Beach I had a few COMMON REDPOLLS mixed in with a big
flock of PINE SISKINS.

The lake was barren -- no ducks and 2 HERRING GULLS.

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI