[wisb] Cooper's hawk

  • From: "Mary Roenneburg" <roem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 13:57:43 -0600

I just saw my resident Cooper's Hawk take a dive over the barn (it can have all
the sparrows he/she wants) and land in tall tree on the other side of the barn.
It wasn't 15 seconds later when blue jays silently began landing in the same
tree. At first the jays were about 25-30 feet away, but then they began to take
turns to gradually jump closer and closer to the hawk. This went on for several
minutes, until there were 8 blue jays moving in, the closest less than three
feet away on the same branch as the hawk. That bird started inching toward the
hawk while the others approached ever closer. The hawk suddenly took off, with
the 8 jays in noisy hot pursuit.A couple of weeks ago a gang of blue jays had
cornered the little hawk on the corn crib and were actually pecking it. I call
my blue jays CHEWS, Cooper's Hawk Early Warning System.
Mary Roenneburg
Blue Munds
Iowa County

======Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.