[wisb] Columbia Co (Mud Lake WLA - Harvey Rd)

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:48:05 -0700 (PDT)

At Mud Lake WLA I walked some areas looking for Sharp-tailed  Sparrow without
success. Some  stuff I did find includes:

Virginia Rail and Sora Rails
Ruby-Crown Kinglets
No Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warblers (Lots)
Eastern Towee
Fox Sparrows (2) one individual  was singing
Swamp Sparrows
White-throated Sparrows (Lots)
Rusty Blackbirds (5)

It was windy and the kind of day where if you saw something move it was most
likely:

1) A leaf falling or being carried thru the air by the wind
2) a White-throated Sparrow, or
3) a Yellow-rumped Warbler

Harvey Road south of Wangness Rd

American Pipits - a very large number of Am Pipits were on the road, in the
fields and mostly on  the  telephone lines on Harvey Rd just south on Wangsness
Rd and going almost all the way to Manthe Rd. I estimated about 400.

Harvey Rd north of Wangness Rd - the 3 Whooping Cranes are back.  Due to
distance and light I could not get the leg bands.

John  Romano
Madison Wi