[wisb] Clay-colored Sparrow & Gray-cheeked Thrush

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:15:07 -0500

Yesterday I checked out the Sherwood area and Heckrodt.  The B pond east of
Sherwood has only limited water so is not attracting hardly anything.  In High
Cliff SP, i had great views of a Clay-colored Sparrow in the field before the
large campground.  Heckrodt offered only several Yellow-rumped Warblers,
sapsuckers and Hermit Thrushes.
This morning in my yard I noticed a thrush up close to my living room window
checking out the mulch for bugs.  I felt it was not a Hermit but could not get
a real good look at it.  Later it returned and my original thought was
confirmed, an early Gray-cheeked Thrush!  Certainly a pleasant surprise
considering this strange weather we are having!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI