[wisb] Chipping Sparrow question; Northern Waterthrush spotted, MKE

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <birdspazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello again everyone,
Today I went back to Humboldt Park. The only active birds I spotted were a
Northern Waterthrush foraging underneath the Weeping Willow and the ever-vocal
Belted Kingfisher flying around. Before I left my house, however, I spotted a
Palm Warbler on my neighbor's fence, basically in my yard! I was very excited.

On my walk back home, I saw several Chipping Sparrows feeding in a yard. Two
were fledglings, comically following their parents on the ground and flying
after them in trees with their mouths agape. It was enjoyable to watch this
interaction, especially since earlier this summer I saw Chipping Sparrows
feeding Brown-headed Cowbirds a few times! >:(

I was wondering if it was rather late for Chipping Sparrows to have fledglings?
I performed a quick Google search and two sites said that Chippers breed
between April and July.

Any insight would be appreciated--I can't find answers to questions like these
in my bird guides!

Thank you,

Jennifer Ambrose,
MKE County, Bayview

http://www.welovebirds.org/profile/Jenthreat
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id0002213937504
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/

________________________________
From: Jeff Virant <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 09:49:32 -0500

Hi All,
    Just reporting some usual but noticeable activity here on Rainbow Pond.
Many Cedar Waxwings in the big old dead pond tree every day and a
flock/group/family/??? of 11 pleasantly noisy Sandhill Cranes vacationing in a
nearby field for the last 2 weeks. Always such a strange and unusual chorus of
sounds. Otherwise, still seeing hummingbirds (mostly a ruby-throated male) at
our feeder.
    Actually, I'm writing this report from the mangrove swamps of Puerto
Morelos on the Yucatan where we arrived yesterday. I, of course, completely
forgot to bring my newly purchased Birds of Mexico book. May just have to
observe/enjoy the birds without ID'ing them. Dear Lord! I guess there's always
the internet!
Best birding!

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, Polk County

------------------------------

From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Zeloski, Sunday am
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:29:23 -0500

Ran into Aaron Stutz ,so we birded the northside together. Had 1 B-B plover, 6
Semi-Palmated plover and lots of Killdeer.  Had my first Sanderling of the
year. 2 imm. Long-billed Dowitchers and 3 Buff-breasted's were  nice. No
Phalaropes!  Around 50 Stilt Sandpipers, 3 Greater Yellowlegs and a fair number
of Lessers and Pectoral's. No large amount of peeps, but had 2 White-rumped, 4
Baird's and a few Least and Semi-palmated's.
A field trip that was on the southside and heading north said they had a
Peregrine make a few passes.
And someone mentioned that a Black-necked Stilt was seen way down in the
southwest pond area last Thursday. Not seen on Friday.
I turned around on London road to see what I saw on the road. It was a
hatchling snapping turtle. I put it off the side of the road, but it was 1/2
mile from any water.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Connecticut Warbler:  Door County
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:16:25 -0500

I saw a CONNECTICUT WARBLER this morning on the service road just as it ends at
Blossomburg Cemetery in Peninsula State Park. It was wonderfully cooperative,
moving slowly in the lower branches of a shrub, in a thicket of shrubs and
trees. It was a fairly active bird morning. Nine species of Warblers, including
a singing PINE WARBLER. It was in the pines near the Cemetery, and it's song
was brief but it lead me to seeing two Pine Warblers. They nest in that area.
Still quite a few Vireos in the Cemetery-Bike Path area also, mostly Red-eyed,
and 1 Philadelphia seen.
Sue Peterson
Ephraim
Door Co.

------------------------------

From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Sheridan Park, Milwaukee warblers
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:45:43 -0500

Quite active along the bluff just east of the pond. What I'm now calling,
'Townsend's Point' in honor of Bill Cowart.
Bill called me up one fall October morning eager to go out in search of a
rarity. We made Sheridan Park out first stop.
I recall in the car, Bill mentioned in great irritation how he rarely finds
anything good in fall. Ten minutes later, we were looking at a Townsend's
Warbler below our feet.

Sheridan Drive (Milwaukee Co), Milwaukee, US-WI
Sep 11, 2011 8:30 AM - 10:10 AM
Protocol: Stationary
28 species

Canada Goose  9
Mallard  12
Blue-winged Teal  6
Double-crested Cormorant  5
Northern Harrier  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  5
Northern Waterthrush  1
Tennessee Warbler  7
Nashville Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  1
American Redstart  2
Cape May Warbler  2
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  1
Bay-breasted Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  6
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  1
House Finch  1

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy
Milw Co.
------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:12:18 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Re: No more Chimney Swifts in Milwaukee?
From: Sandy Fuller <sfuller49@xxxxxxxxx>

Have you checked just before dusk?  Madison and Mt. Horeb still have a good
population, which were counted Friday night for A Swift Night Out.  However,
I've noticed that there are very few swifts to be seen during the daylight
hours.  They seem to come out of nowhere at about 7:15 pm., and head towards
their roost.   What puzzles me is where are they during the day?
BTW, there's still one night left to count swifts for A Swift Night Out!

Sandy Schwab
Verona

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:33:02 -0500
Subject: [wisb] off-topic: bat monitoring workshop 2
From: william mueller <wpmueller1947@xxxxxxxxx>

A second bat monitoring workshop with staff from the Western Great Lakes
Bird and Bat Observatory will be held at Forest Beach Migratory Preserve in
Ozaukee County on Saturday evening, September 17th, starting at 6:45pm.
Limited to ten participants. Bat presentation at 6:45, bat monitoring walk
begins approx 7:30pm. Backchannel me to register.
--
William P. Mueller
Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory

------------------------------

From: "Cathy Gagliardi" <patcatgags@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Hummingbirds up north (Sawyer Co)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:02:20 -0500

The Hummers are heading south---
last Thurs. there were 9 of them at my feeders...
today, I only saw one.

I sure will miss those little gems!
  Cathy Gagliardi
  Birchwood, WI (Sawyer Co)

------------------------------

From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] To SE Colorado and back-26 life birds
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:08:32 -0500

Just got back from a 10 day trip to SE CO Comanche National
Grasslands(CNG). First night stayed in Clay Center, NE and checked out
Kissinger Basin. Had lifers 20+ w.f. ibis, 1 great tailed grackle and
several e.c. doves in town. Also FOY 1 cattle egret and 4 snowy egrets.
Next morning stopped at Harlan Co Lake in S central NE. Many birds there
and had lifer several franklins gulls and spotted towhee. North of La
Junta, CO near Adobe Creek Res. had 6 am. avocet. The actual purpose of the
trip was antelope hunting so spend 5 days in a blind at a waterhole. There
was a windmill, a large round watertank, a dug overflow pond and an old
corral type fence so there was good structure for birds to relate to. Had
extended, as close as 5' looks at many different species. The most notable
species (for me at least) were curve-billed thrasher, sage thrasher and
brewers sparrows. Had 2 y.h. blackbirds spend most of the day one day.
There were many horned larks and lark buntings every day. A prairie falcon
buzzed through one day but it happened so fast don't even know if he got
one of the h. larks or not. Was thrilled to see a male and female lesser
goldfinch at a spring creek bottom in southern unit of CNG. While scouting
a spot one day we came across a prairie dog town and saw 3 burrowing owls,
this was one of the birds I had really hoped to see. But for me the best
bird of the trip was found at a small spring pond in Vogel Canyon in
northern unit of CNG. From a distance saw flycatching and tailwagging so
knew it was a phoebe, but when got closer was thrilled to see it was a
black phoebe, no mistaking that combination of black and white. Walking out
from last afternoon of hunt saw a 4" tarantula, that was very cool. Also on
way home in central NE saw 2 gr. prairie chickens on shoulder of road.
Turned around and went back slowly and drove practically right up to them.
Following is a list of the 26 life birds I saw.
white-faced ibis
great trailed grackle
Eurasian collared dove
franklins gull
american avocet
lark sparrow
lark bunting
loggerhead shrike
brewers sparrow
sage thrasher
curve-billed thrasher
prairie falcon
swainsons hawk (also had dark morph swainsons)
western kingbird
says phoebe
black phoebe
chihuahua raven
lesser goldfinch
spotted towhee
canyon towhee
western meadowlark
scaled quail
burrowing owl
mississippi kite
greater prairie chicken
vesper sparrow

Dave Schrab
Hustisford WI
Dodge Co

------------------------------

Subject: [wisb] Wyalusing Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.
From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:49:12 -0500

Hey everyone,

During our 11am cruise this morning, I spotted a Red-shouldered Hawk circling
high above the river.
Probably a migrant? Hard to tell.

This evening, I spent a couple hours poking around Wyalusing State Park. Among
a flock of Eastern Pewees, I found a single Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.

Along Long Valley Rd, there were two Acadian Flycatchers.

--Chris W, Richland County
Interpretive Naturalist
Mississippi Explorer Cruises
Sent from my iPod
------------------------------

From: Dave Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Sheboygan, North Point
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:06:27 -0500

Hi all,   I made a run up to Sheboygan late this afternoon hoping to find some
shorebirds. It was  a little slow but there were 7 Sanderlings, 1 Semi-palmated
Sandpiper and a Spotted Sandpiper at North Point and south. Of interest were
hundreds of gulls flying about 50 -100 feet up feeding on some sort of insects.
A few photos are at the beginning of this gallery.
http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/new_photos
Dave FreriksS. Ohio / Saukville, WI

------------------------------

Subject: [wisb] Eastern Screech Owl Milwaukee
From: Brian Hansen <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:06:22 -0500

I had crows making a racket all over a tree in my front yard this afternoon.  I
checked to see what they were after but couldn't see anything because of the
leaves.  Right after sundown I figured out why. An EASO started calling and
serenaded my wife and I the whole time I was grilling and while we ate dinner.
 Actually the first one I've ever heard in the wild. I knew it right away from
owl monitoring.  What a haunting call.

Brian Hansen
Milwaukee east side
------------------------------

From: Rick Pertile <mugzy1960@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Warblers and more
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:20:36 -0500

With the clear skies and almost full moon last night, this morning my back yard
provided a pretty good show for warblers as well as some other species listed
below:

Cape May
Magnolia
Bay-breasted (most numerous)
Black-and-White
Chestnut-sided
Golden-winged
Tennessee
Nashville
Blackburnian
Yellow- rumped
Pine
Black-throated green
Northern waterthrush
American redstart
Yellow-throated vireo
Blue-headed vireo
Red-eyed vireo
Philadelphia vireo
Swainson's thrush
Hermit thrush
Red-headed woodpecker
Turkey Vulture
Coopers hawk

Eastern bluebirds families are still frequenting the area and continue to come
in for mealworms and superworms.  Some of the young have now almost completely
transitioned into their adult plumage and the 4 adults are also going through a
noticeable molt.

I also included a shot of this merlin perched high up in a dead aspen.  After
resting for about 15 minutes it stretched and then took flight in a southbound
direction.

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/47952/2598920350104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/49337/2476127400104648965S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/46451/2646080130104648965S600x600Q85.jpg

Regards,

Rick Pertile
Sawyer County

------------------------------

From: Paul Hunter <phunter1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Shorewood, Milwaukee County 425 swifts
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:13:44 -0500

425 Chimney Swifts dived into the chimney at St Robert's school in
Shorewood on Capitol and Maryland tonight 9/11/11 between 7 and 7:20
PM.  They stayed high till shortly before diving in, possibly to
continuing feeding on this warm, calm, clear night with a rising full
moon, possibly partly because of the large crowd of watchers, about
30-40, including the science teacher from the school, the Urban
Ecology educator, their students, and the parents of the students.

--- Paul Hunter
Whitefish Bay, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
  http://home.roadrunner.com/~phunter1/lakeparkbirds.html
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LakeParkBirds/

To change DIGEST modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn