[wisb] Cherokee FOY's Sunday (Madison)

  • From: Marge Anderson <manderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:37:32 -0500

Lots of fun at Cherokee Marsh yesterday, including:
-Two RC Kinglets singing their heads off in a brush pile

-A dozen or so Double-Crested Cormorants flying around

-A Northern Harrier, female

-Fox and White-Throated Sparrows

-Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers

-A Yellow-Rumped Warbler, first winter female

Also present but not FOY's were Eastern Phoebe, Turkey Vulture, Sandhill Cranes
setting up house, and the normal wintering-over birds.  Non-avian species
included a very sluggish Red-Bellied Snake that I picked up and put out of the
path so that some reptile-phobe wouldn't stomp on it, Common Green Darners in
love, and Western Chorus Frogs in deafening force with a few Leopard Frogs in
the deeper open water.  I got a few photos of a Chorus Frog that show two tiny
insects on it - look like super-mini mosquitoes full of blood - if anyone knows
what the heck these are, please back channel me.

Also present were many humans who saw my binocs and stopped me to ask if they
could possibly have seen Pelicans, so there must have been some out on the
Yahara - it's fun to watch birds causing so much excitement.

Marge Anderson
Dane (and Vilas) County