[wisb] Buff-breasted Sandpiper/Racine County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:45:41 -0500

One Buff-breasted Sandpiper was present this morning at the Wind Lake sod
farms. It was on the west side of Britton Rd. about 100 yards
north of Olson Rd. The sod in this field has been harvested and it is now
growing low weeds. It was attracting Killdeer and Horned Larks too,

so there must be a good insect population there. I observed the bird from
about 8:50 A.M.- 9:25 A.M. and it was still there when I left, but I don't
know if it will stay in the area.

People birding the sod farms will find Burmeister Road closed about 1 mile
east of East Wind Lake Rd. due to a collapsed bridge. To bird areas both
east and west of the closure, drive south on Britton Rd.  or East Wind Lake
Rd. from Burmeister Rd.( depending on which side of the closure you are on)
about 1 mile to Hanson Rd. which is an east-west road, drive the length of
Hanson Rd. and then drive back north to Burmeister Rd.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County