[wisb] Brillion Wildlife Area-8/5/12

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:55:25 -0500

Sorry, I'm a day late, but my E-Bird submission did not E-mail back to me,
which is my reminder to post something.
Visited the Brillion area yesterday evening.  Drove by the Hwy. B shorebird
area.  There is standing water throughout that field, but it is covered in
grass, so not particularly attractive to shorebirds and there were none
noted.  Went over to the impoundment on the north edge of the Wildlife Area
itself.  There were tons of swallows, but interestingly, only Barn,
Northern Rough-winged, and several Bank--no Tree, Cliff, or Purple Martins
were identified.  While there is plenty of water around, and the
surrounding ditches are still draining, the original surface area of the
impoundment itself is probably half of what it would normally be.  The
remaining area is covered in vegetation which got its start while it was
still dry.  Only one Great Egret was present.  As others have noted
elsewhere, several Dickcissels were also singing in the nearby fields.  At
least 100 Sandhill Cranes were gathered in the adjacent agricultural
fields.  Otherwise, nothing particularly unusual.  Usually a visit anywhere
near Brillion involves breathing mosquitoes, but they were very tolerable
this time around--my backyard is worse!

Thanks!

--
*Andrew Reimer*