[wisb] Brice Prairie (LaCrosse County)

  • From: Alex Stark <thearctictern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 19:09:47 -0600

Hey folks,
I saw a tip from the Coulee Audbon Society Facebook Page
(http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/CouleeRegionAudubon?fref=ts )
saying there were Redpolls and Tree Sparrows at Brice Prairie. I've
never been there before and I really wanted some Redpolls this far
south so I headed out to check this place out.

At first I stopped behind the visitors center and counted 80 American
Tree Sparrows in view (!), i'm sure there were more hidden but no
Redpolls...after a long hike through the snow and not another bird I
decieded to quit. But while driving away on county ZM? I saw more
American Tree Sparrows and I managed to pick out one COMMON REDPOLL
among the hoards of American Tree Sparrows. Also found a SONG SPARROW
foraging among them.

Also made a stop at Goose Island today. A great start was a completely
black dark-morph Red-tailed Hawk sitting over the road. Also found
Bald Eagles, Rough-legged Hawks and Red-tailed Hawks over the marshes.
The feeding station had a single SWAMP SPARROW as well as the usual
suspects. A SHARP-SHINNED HAWK was a bonus that made a swipe at some
Black-capped Chickadee's and missed.

Bird on,

Alex Stark, LaCrosse