[wisb] Boat-tailed Grackle-Darboy (Appleton)

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:47:29 -0500

So I'm putting shingles back on my house after they were blown off into
Kewaunee County Sunday night and I keep hearing a grackle-like territorial
call that sounds sick.  And it always ends with something like a goldfinch
flight call.  Eventually, I get down off the roof and head over to my
neighbor's front yard.  A grackle flies off and I don't think anything of
it.  Then the call repeats from one tree over.  It has a tail half again as
large as a Common Grackle.  I make a big half circle out to the road so as
not to scare it, and it keeps up its rattle sort of call, but otherwise
doesn't move.  Of course, a UPS picks that moment to pull up to my house and
scares it across the road to row of spruce trees, trailing an enormous
tail.  I don't think it's a Great-tailed Grackle because its body isn't a
whole lot bigger than the grackles walking around my lawn. It's still here
hanging around though.  If you're in the area and want to try for it,
backchannel me and I'll send you directions.
Thanks!
Andrew Reimer
Darboy (Appleton), Calumet County