[wisb] Black-bellied whistling duck - South of Sheboygan Marsh

  • From: James Popp <birdsculpture@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@freelists org" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 20:42:01 -0500

I saw the Whistling-Duck on the DNR land south of the marsh late this
afternoon.   From where School Road dead ends, follow the gravel road through
the gate on the right - east.  The road is along the north end of a field.  At
the south end is a pond, which had a large number of ducks - mostly mallards.
The whistling -duck flew in while I was watching and flew off a few minutes
later when the flock spooked.   About the only place to view is from the hill
at the northeast cornerof the field.  A scope was necessary, but it stood out
from the mallards especially in flight.
James Popp
Elkhart Lake
Sheboygan County