[wisb] Black-bellied Whistling Duck-Sheboygan Marsh

  • From: Steven Murkowski <smurkowski66@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 05:59:58 -0700 (PDT)

I visited School Road on the south side of the Sheboygan Marsh yesterday, about
7:15, looking for the Black-belled Whistling Duck reported on Friday by Jim
Popp.  I met Carl Schroder and Davor Grigic, who were already scoping a large
flock of Mallards and Wood Ducks on the pond described by Jim previously.
After about ten minutes, Davor was re-postioning myself in the field to get a
better look at the ducks in the field adjacent to the pond, when ducks took
flight.  Within a few seconds I was able to see one bird that did not look like
the rest of the Mallards, black under belly and wings, large white wing bars
flying northeast.  I was able to track the bird for a few seconds, however, I
could not accurately describe the location to Carl within the huge flock of
birds.  It eventually disappeared to the northeast.
Later, as I left, Carl and Davor where going see if there was easy access with
a canoe to the marsh canals from that spot.  Without hearing any reports, I
assume they did not relocate the bird.

Steve Murkowski
Kiel