[wisb] Black Tern

  • From: Mitch <mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:16:30 -0500

Hi All,

While on the river yesterday with Mike Earley, we came upon a few Black
Terns in a back bay, about a mile below the bridges. I had seen one or
two of these guys before at Myrick Park, but never got a good shot of
them for ID purposes. yesterday, we came upon one resting on a stub of a
log poking out of the water and several further back in the weed choked
bay, flying for food. I was able to get a few shots of them that came
out good enough to process. Links below.

I expect these birds are rather hard to sight by normal birders, as they
spend most of their life over big water, nesting in the rushes, from
what I have learned, far from any wood or field. You'd need a boat to
see them, which for me, has opened up a whole new aspect of birding,
thanks to Mike. :o)

http://www.picturelacrosse.com/birds09/tern09/black-tern-1d2n3257-061409.jpg

http://www.picturelacrosse.com/birds09/tern09/black-tern-1d2n3258-061409.jpg

http://www.picturelacrosse.com/birds09/tern09/black-tern-1d2n3259-061409.jpg