[wisb] Birding Trip to Very Dry Texas

  • From: Joy Banyas <jbanyas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:12:26 +0000

Just returned from my annual birding trip to the Port Aransas-Corpus Christi
area. Extremely dry and windy conditions may have affected the numbers - folks
who bird regularly at Paradise Pond in Port A think some of the migrants are
passing without stopping. Also, roadside ditches and marshy areas that were
full of egrets and herons in past years are mostly dried up. Still, we saw 115
species(would have been more if we were better at the little shorebirds),
including 16 warblers, several looks at gorgeous Painted Buntings, a family of
Common Moorhens with 2 adults and 7 chicks, and of course the many S Texas
birds that don't make it to Wisconsin. Lifers for me included:

Chuck Will's Widow
Worm Eating Warbler
Swainson's Warbler
Lesser Nighthawk