[wisb] Re: Bird Feeding News

  • From: "Sommer, Joan" <joan.sommer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:42:44 -0500

Maureen,

I do a lot of bird feeding and found this very interesting. Thanks for sending.

I have noted the most popular seeds at my feeders are exactly what the article
states. However I don't feed any millet except during spring and fall migration
since I don't want to encourage house sparrows.

One difference I do note is that safflower is pretty popular in my yard.
Cardinals, chickadees, house finches, nuthatches (both red and white), and then
the mourning doves clean up what falls on the ground. With the added advantage
that the house sparrows don't seem to like it. Of course, maybe it is a lower
energy food so not as desirable.

I don't feed ANY mixes. Less waste that way. Nobody has to kick a bunch of
seeds out onto the ground to get at what they really want.

I also regularly feed shelled peanuts in two different peanut feeders and they
are always a big hit. Especially with the woodpeckers. Unfortunately, even the
house sparrows have learned to cling to the peanut feeder. As have the
starlings and grackles!

I have also noted the "weigh and discard" strategy of many birds. I
particularly enjoy watching the jays and crows try to decide which peanut in
the shell they should start with.

Joan Sommer
Fredonia
N. Ozaukee County