[wisb] Picnic Point (UW Campus) this a.m. - very birdy!

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:16:16 -0500

Several birders spent a couple of hours at Picnic Point (actually we
were at Frautschi Point) on the UW Campus this morning.  We were very
pleasantly surprised at how many birds we saw.  There were still a lot
of warblers around - we had one flock of 2-3 dozen that we kept running
into as they moved back and forth in the canopy.  At one point, part of
the flock got down to eye level and we picked out a female
Black-throated Blue.  Other species included Blue-winged, Black-throated
Green, Magnolia, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Tennessee, Am. Redstart,
Black & White and Bay-breasted (Eric Wood can tell me if I missed
something.) There were LOTS of kinglets, mostly RC with a few GCs mixed
in, several Eastern Towhees, good numbers of White-throated Sparrows
with several Songs and a Lincoln's out in the brush piles at the edge of
the Biocore Prairie.  We also had a few Winter Wrens, House Wrens, and a
probable Sedge Wren out in the prairie (I only got a partial glimpse of
the back and tail through dense vegetation, so we can't completely rule
out Marsh Wren.)  Also had an Indigo Bunting out at the edge.

We had multiple accipiter sightings, with a pair of Sharpies working the
woods and at least one Cooper's Hawk flyover, plus another Coop along
the edge.  Biggest surprise was probably the LACK of thrushes - we heard
one odd call note that could have been a Veery, but no others.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.