[wisb] Barred Owl at Picnic Point

  • From: David Flores <flores.david84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wis birdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 20:25:30 -0800 (PST)

Happy New Year all!
First bird- juncos in my backyard

I did get to Picnic Point today (a big trip for a Milwaukee boy). I spent a
good hour and a half birding. Most of the ducks have already been sited from
others (although I would add that I saw 1 bufflehead). I did not take the time
to distinguish between the female goldeneyes, so I cannot comment on the female
Barrow's, but I was disappointed in not seeing the male Barrow's. I then went
to see the eastern screech owl, which was reported to be hanging around in one
of the wood duck boxes. Another wiff. So, as I was walking out I just
stopped at a sheltered spot from the wind and watched and listened.
I ended up seeing
Chickadees 8
WB Nuthatch 2
Red Bellied WP 1
Downy WP 1
Blue Jay 2
Robin 3
Brown Creeper 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
Bald Eagle 1
Crow 9
*Barred owl 1 (pictures can be seen at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/floresdavid/4236136806/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/floresdavid/4236136472/
Added to the 8 species of ducks and geese= 19 species
Not a bad day, being cold and covering only a small swatch of land.
David Flores
S.Milwaukee, visiting Madison today