[wisb] BABC - Northwoods Fieldtrip

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 07:53:18 -0600

The Bay Area Bird Club's North Woods fieldtrip was Sat. Feb. 5th with good
weather
and road conditions; we made it to Alvin by first light. South of town we had a
flock
of PINE GROSBEAKS that moved quickly away from our 4 car load of bird watchers.
 In
Alvin, the birds were more cooperative with several flocks of EVENING GROSBEAKS
 that
flew to and from the different feeder areas.  A flock of COM. REDPOLLS  landed
nearby.  The other feeder birds were Downy & Hairy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, B.C.
Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Mourning Doves, 1 Tree Sparrow and 1
Starling.
Two GRAY JAYS held sentinel at the tops of the Spruce trees and a C. RAVEN did a
flyby.
  Into the forest with a stop at Pine River and the most photographed pair of
GRAY
JAYS in Wisconsin.  A PILEATED WOODPECKER called nearby but remained hidden and
Hairy Woodpecker gave us hope for a minute that he might be a Black-backed.
Two COM.
GOLDENEYES flew over toward the northeast.  We had a nice flock of PINE SISKINS
in
the middle of the road on the Sheltered Valley Road.  We stopped for every mixed
flock of Chickadees and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and the third flock had a BOREAL
CHICKADEE mixed in.  The flock was moving fast to the east but most people got
a look
before they disappeared.

  Added PURPLE FINCHES and Goldfinches at feeders in Three Lakes, connected
with the
River's Edge group that told us about their find on Fire Lane Rd.  There had to
be at
least one left, Right?  So we drove north of Conover and walked right by them
until
we were called back by Nancy Bohm who had found 4 SPRUCE GROUSE practically
right
next to the cars.  They stayed with all the talking and the noise and smell of
several passing snowmobiles.  Great looks and lots of pictures.  Time and light
were
running out fast so we didn't add any more birds except a flock of SNOW BUNTINGS
north of Argonne.  We ended with 25 species of which many were life birds for
our 18
participants.  A "SUPER" day in the North Woods.

Ida & Ty Baumann, Green Bay, Brown County