[wisb] Avian Delights at Buena Vista Grasslands 2 April 2014

  • From: Michael Huebschen <huebschenhuebschen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

My intrusion at the Buena Vista Grasslands on 2 April 2014 was witness to the
activity of resurgent year-round residents, returning summer residents,
transient turista, lingering lollygagers, and "skydancers" (A. Leopold).

I was treated to the sight and vocal repertoire of Greater Prairie Chickens
during the last hour of suntime. I also noted a Merlin, Red-tailed Hawk with
almost all-white tail feathers, Mourning Doves, Northern Harriers, Sandhill
Cranes scouting nesting sites, American Kestrels already staking out
territories around nest boxes that were seen used in 2013 (one female seen
leaving a box with male on nearby power line), Killdeers, Meadowlarks, American
Robins, and the ever-vigilant American Crows.

The nominee for "lingering lollygager" was the object of my quest to begin
with. I drove up figuring that my chances of encountering a Snowy Owl were very
slim. My initial early afternoon reconnaisance of the area confirmed that
suspicion. About 5:15 P.M., my pessimism was dashed and persistence rewarded by
the appearance of what appeared to be an older Snowy Owl (lightly and sparsely
marked) on a roadside powerline. As I followed it's movement for the duration
of the afternoon, it moved about the same area and perches where I had seen a
heavily marked juvenile for much of the winter. This individual appeared to be
in the process of feather molt/emergence, but I confess to knowing absolutely
nothing about their molt cycles. I was priveleged to be able to observe it
contest a possible catch by a male Northern Harrier, and buzz two Prairie
Chickens shortly before sunset with a near-miss. Although, I do not keep much
in the way of written records, 2 April
 is the latest observation of Snowy Owl that I have ever noted.

If all of that was not enough, the last half hour of suntime and deepening dusk
thereafter brought the movement east to west of 6 sizeable flocks of Tundra
Swans, and the eerie aerial ballet of Wilson's Snipe and Woodcock.

Best of the Avian World To All,

Michael J. Huebschen