[wisb] Ashland/Bayfield

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:16:13 -0600

I also ran my Red-shouldered Hawk survey route west of Mellen in Ashland County
on Tuesday morning.  Not unexpectedly I had no Red-shouldereds but a Cooper's
Hawk responded agressively to the playback at one point.  Lots of snow melt and
soft roads but woodland birds just trickling in.  Full ebird list from the 12
stops is below, which should be a decent representation of where things are at
migration-wise in the far northwoods.  And perhaps most significantly, my car
did not do as fine as Nancy's and I got stuck in the mud until rescued a few
hours later.

Back in Ashland, ice on Chequamegon Bay is finally out.  Thousands of ducks
piled onto the west end, well out from Long Bridge, with good diversity but
dominated by scaup as usual.  First Bonaparte's Gulls today.  Nick Anich scoped
the birds harder and will have something to add I'm sure.

A flock of 250+ Bohemian Waxwings continues on Ashland's west side.  Also 15
Common Redpolls in Washburn this morning.

First dragonflies of the year yesterday and dozens of butterflies.  Lots of
frogs now, including this Wood Frog: http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/133892884

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady