[wisb] An ALERT of sorts, need feedback

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:21:52 -0800 (PST)

    Hey all --     While taking garbage out to the curb last night I heard what
sounded like a puppy, or a small dog, being beaten, tortured, if you will,  but
the sound was repetitious, and suddenly dawned on me that it sounded like a
"saw being filed".    I seriously believe I had a SAW-WHET OWL in my 'hood.
Has anyone ever heard that call in the wild before?     I  have heard one many
years ago up at the family cottage,  only giving the dripping water call, and
when I was a kid, actually SAW one right in my neighbor's birch next to the
driveway.  Last night's sound was repeated maybe 10 times or so.  Any feedback
would be great.   I  tried YouTube for Sawwhet calls but it didn't have
anything substantial before I posted this for verification.  It's been years
since I've listened to the Peter Paul Kellog  recording of the saw-whet, so I
actually have the call in my mind, just need some back-up from someone.  Thanks
in
 advance.
      Paul Bruce, Oshkosh