[wisb] ARCTIC TERN on Lake Wausau

  • From: bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Wis Bird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 14:57:48 -0400 (EDT)

This morning I found what I believe is an Arctic Tern at Everest Park on
Lake Wausau. This tern was present with a non-breeding Common Tern and
made for a nice comparison, especially when seen standing next to each
other with the Arctic Tern having much shorter legs than the Common
tern. The Arctic Tern also had the all black cap that was solid, an dark
bill that looked reddish when I zoomed in on it in my scope (bad
lighting today with the overcast skies), a dark gray breast with the
white cheek patch, and the gray primaries that matched in color to the
bird back color.

I started making phone calls to other local birders and within 30
minutes I had Myles H. and Mary B. here to view this bird along with me.
Myles took photos, so maybe he'll post them on his flickr.com page for
other to view. At about 11:30 a.m., the bird took flight (it was
stilling with the Common Tern and other gulls on a stump about 150 yards
off shore) and flew northward up the Wisconsin River and did not return.
I stayed another 1 1/2 hours to  hopefully wait for its return, but it
did not come back. I will check back here later today and tomorrow
morning. Maybe it return, and if it does I will get the word out.

Dan Belter
Weston, WI
Marathon County