[wisb] Re: A Ferruginous in our backyard, ridiculous!

  • From: "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <p.g6schwalbe@xxxxxxxxx>, "Birdnet, Wis" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:10:27 -0500

I agree with David.  Light Red-tailed.  The best mark to look for on
Ferruginous is the wide gape.  The corner of the mouth will extend behind
the eye like a smile.  This does not vary but plumage does.  Great mark to
use when sorting out the many plumages of Red-tailed Hawks.  Glad you got
such clear photos.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin