[wisb] 5 FOYs

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:42:21 -0500

Birded a large part of Pike Lake late this afternoon.  Saw an early decent
raptor flight on north winds (?) including a coursing harrier over the marsh at
home so I climbed the observation tower at Pike.  Only a few TVs but I'd like
to try with a strong SWesterly.  Tower is on top of Powder Hill (1350'), the
highest point in Washington County; Holy Hill is the highest in SE WI.  Anyway,
picked up 4 FOY birds including field sparrow, winter wren (NONE last spring),
great egret, and a single, vocal broad-winged hawk.  Thought the last 2 were
super early but my records say no.  B-winged seen last year on 4/18 and great
egret seen in first week of April several times.  At home picked up northern
rough-winged swallow mixed in with too many tree swallows!  Have a bluebird box
at home with a complete nest- and harassing tree swallows.  Also 2
almost-complete nests at Pike Lake.  Other notables include scads of creepers
and a noticeable build-up of rc kinglets.  It's that time of year when you
think the warblers are in only to glass another kinglet!  Golden-crowneds seem
massed to go, and phoebes singing everywhere.  The winter wren I heard tried
singing, but only got out a pathetic version of its wonderful song.  The duck
numbers are building too but didn't have my scope along.  Should be good for
the RBC trip on Saturday.

Forgot to mention that on Saturday I attended my first brat-fry of the year in
Horicon.  That, along with sheepshead and fish-frys is truly Wisconsin!

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################