[wisb] 24 shorebirds

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 19:08:49 -0500

I spent the morning and early afternoon birding the Arlington ponds.
Between  3 of these ponds and the main dike at Horicon Marsh, I
tallied 24 shorebirds.
The best Arlington ponds were Goose Pond, DM/Harvey Pond and
Schumacher Pond.  Goose had a variety of shorebirds in the early
morning but when I returned several hours later it had "added" 3
Willets.  The DM/Harvey pond yielded "strange" results.  When I was
there in the early morning it had an estimated 1400 shorebirds, of
which 1200 were Lesser Yellowlegs.  The Marbled Godwit was east of
Harvey, there was a nice variety of peeps along Harvey.  However
after about 20+ minutes the 2 flocks along Harvey took flight, as did
literally every other shorebird.  They circled for quite some time,
with the number of birds getting fewer and fewer.  After some time,
during which several flocks landed for brief periods, everything
left, literally.  There was no falcon in the area that I could see.
When I returned an hour later there was not the total number of
individuals but still a nice variety, that included an Hudsonian
Godwit, that promptly disappeared, although the Marbled remained.
Numbers included 10 White-rumped and 10 Baird's Sandpipers, 20+
Wilson's Phalaropes, 16 Short-billed Dowitchers and 1-2 Long-billed
Dowitchers, 1 Black-bellied Plover (not present earlier), 1 Stilt
Sandpiper, Semip. and Least Sandpipers, etc

Schumacher Pond had about 600 Lesser Yellowlegs, 100 Pectoral
Sandpipers, SB Dowitchers, a Black-bellied Plover, standard peeps, etc.

Two Am Golden Plovers were on the Harvey/60 pond early in the morning
and in the afternoon a Whooping Crane was at Schoeneberg Marsh along
the closed road.

The main dike at Horicon at 2 Black-necked Stilts, a Ruddy Turnstone,
Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs and various other shorebirds for a
total of about 13-14 species.  The 2 Glossy Ibis were along 49, with
the Whooping Crane on the dike by the pumphouse.  Apparently this
diked area is being drawn down as there is more mud flats then on
Sat.  (In contrast the DM/Harvey pond is drying up really fast.  It
is surprising how much water has been lost since Sat.)
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI