[wisb] Re: 1500 Whimbrels - Door Co

  • From: Claudia <cgiamati@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:52:40 -0700 (PDT)

In light of the article about the oil spill I read on sat or sun that Tom Sykes
sent the link to. Has the peak shorebird migration passed or is it just passing?

On May 25, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Funny that this should turn up now considering that Roy Lukes was just talking
about one time back in the '80s I think it was when someone found a flock of
nearly three-thousand Whimbrels in Door County. I believe the estimate was that
the flock contained nearly 1/5th of the entire world population? Something like
that.
Anywho, just thought it was interesting considering that this report is less
than a week later.......

I hope Wayne gets over there to photograph that. That must be one heck of a
sight to see!

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County

http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

From: amoretti@xxxxxxxxx
To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wisb] 1500 Whimbrels - Door Co
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 18:50:03 -0500

I just received a phone call from Maureen Gross about 2 large flocks of
Whimbrels, numbering about 1500 total, in Bailey's Harbor near the
lighthouse and at Toft's Point. They were alerted by the sound they made and
wondered what it was. Wayne Rohde is still in Door Co, also, but she didn't
have his phone number. If anyone can notify him, I'm sure he'd appreciate
it. He's camping at Peninsula State Park. There were a few Black-bellied
Plovers and Ruddy Turnstones in with the Whimbrel's.

On behalf of Maureen Gross

Mukwonago

Waukesha Co.

Anne Moretti