[wisb] 11 Duck Species - NW Waukesha Cty

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:34:43 -0500

A whole slew of duck species could be found in a few dinky ponds in far
northwestern Waukehsa County this evening. 11 ducks plus Canada Geese, Am.
Coots and Pied-billed Grebes colored the ponds between Hwy 67 and
Pennsylvania Road. Highlightw were a pair of NO. PINTAILS, a handful of AM.
WIGEON, and a few BUFFLEHEAD and LESSER SCAUP. The others were Mallard,
Wood Duck, No. Shoveler, Blue-winged & Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck,
and Gadwall. That's eleven, right?
I had ventured out to find some shorebird habitat in the northern most
reaches of the county this evening, but it appears that the farm fields are
all too well drained in this area to allow for any standing water.  It's no
wonder all the ducks were in one spot! I did manage to find a single
Killdeer tonight.

I also tripped on my first WI Yellow-rumped Warbler of the year. I hadn't
seen one in the state all year, but did have one almost a week ago in
northern MN near Fargo. Go figure!

--
Tim Hahn
Pewaukee, WI