[windows_errors] [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WinXP] "You can not delete the file....It is being used by some...."

  • From: "atreyu" <acanivell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <what_error_messages_really_mean_WinXP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:58:45 +0100

Hello everybody!!
I am new on this list.

Here it comes my first question:

When I try to delete divx films from my hard drive, I get a message like this:

                                "You can not eliminate 'name of the file.avi'
It is being used by some other person or program. Close all the programs that
might be                                         using this file and then try
again"

After closing all the downloading programs that I use (soulseek, emule), I
still get the same error when I try to delete the file. After checking the task
manager (ctrl-alt-supr), I find no application at all that might be using the
file. By looking at the subpage in the task manager called "process", I see a
lot of resident applications running, yet I don't know if some of them might be
accessing the file I wanna delete. I recognize some of them but no one seems to
be related to my file in question.

Is there a way to find out which process are accessing the file I wanna delete?
If I knew which process is accessing my file I could close it and that is all!
Is there a way in which I could trick windows and delete the file despite of
the error message it didplays?

Thanx in advance.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.