[windows_errors] [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WinXP] KIM >>> WinXP: Can't Defrag ("Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" Error Message)

  • From: Spunko Vision <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WinXP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:49:31 -0800 (PST)

This was posted in WinXPNews:

Stop DSL Connection Related Blue Screens (Error : Driver IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
FROM WinXPNews
Do you have a DSL or cable modem connection to the Internet? Maybe you'll
benefit from this tip sent in by WinXPnews reader Raanan:

"I recently installed a NIC in my PC to connect to the ADSL modem I just got.
All worked well, besides about 20 BSODs a day with the error : Driver
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I tried another NIC. No good. In the end, I reformatted
the hard disk, re-installed Windows XP and it worked for about 30 minutes. Then
it crashed. The network card uses a Realtek RTL8139 chipset, which is very
popular, and the manufacturers say there's no need to install a driver in XP,
because XP has its own driver that is compatible with this NIC. I found the
latest drivers from Realtek, installed it anyway (it's not the driver that
Microsoft approves, not digitally signed or whatever) and I haven't had a
single BSOD since. In short - if you come across this problem, don't think that
the drivers supplied by Microsoft are optimized for Windows XP. In this case,
blame the network card and find a driver from the manufacturer."
Thanks for the tip, Raanan!
(END OF ARTICLE)

It seems that the culprit here is the NIC card driver. Same in this case:
"I got this now and then because of my linksys network card, I found a fix
here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BitTorrent/message/1365
If you've got the same card, try the drivers from the original chip
manufacturer there, I haven't had a bluescreen with the
IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL since. However it's possible it's caused by
something else if you say that uninstalling Norton did it."
This was part of a forum posting at
http://boards.powergamers.net/viewthread.php?tid=9871#pid83183
If you want to read more on this, visit the site.

Here is a Microsoft article on this problem:
"Stop 0x0000000A Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal" Error Message During Windows XP
Upgrade (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 311564)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311564Kim, did you read what someone posted
for you in another group? If you have not read it, here it is:
Posted by Rick Rogers
A driver conflict, make sure you are using the latest driver version for all
of your hardware. This may help:
Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP [Q314063]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314063
Troubleshooting it can be lengthy. Check that your hardware and the drivers
for it meet the compatibility list:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/whql/hcl/winxphclx86.txt
More on these stop errors and additional steps you can take:
HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434
How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
(END OF POST)

Kim, this definitely is a driver problem. I would propose the same thing as
Rick is proposing here. Update your drivers. Start with your NIC driver, then
proceed with your video card driver but after each update, check to see first
if the problem was corrected before proceeding to the next driver update. The
Stop 0x0...A is usually a driver failure.

Kim <dreamspinner3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried upgrading my PC from Windows ME to Windows XP Home Edition on
a Compaq Presario with a Athelon 1.3GH processor, 256 MB RAM, 60 GIG
HD.  After I was done, I tried to defrag the hard drive and the PC
crashed to a black screen and then restarted itself.

I then decided to do a clean install of Windows XP in case there was
some problem with my Windows ME installation that had carried over to
the upgrade.  I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP
again, then I installed the latest Windows XP drivers for all my
hardware:

Microtek Scanmaker 5900
HP CD Writer model 8220E
Soundblaster AudioPCI 128 sound card
Creative Modem Blaster v.90 PCI DI5630-5
SanDisk SmartMedia card reader
HP Photosmart printer model 1218
NVIDA GEForce2 MX/MX 400 videocard

File System is FAT32

I tried to run the defrag program again to analyze my hard driver and
it crashed again.  I got the blue screen of death because I disabled
it from automatically restarting after a crash and got an error
message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL

***STOP: 0X0000000A (0x7fffffff, 0x00000001, 0x804e414e)
Beginning dump of physical memory.

HELP!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/67folB/TM