[windows_errors] [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WinXP] Can't Defrag

  • From: "Kim" <dreamspinner3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WinXP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:58:48 -0000

I tried upgrading my PC from Windows ME to Windows XP Home Edition on
a Compaq Presario with a Athelon 1.3GH processor, 256 MB RAM, 60 GIG
HD.  After I was done, I tried to defrag the hard drive and the PC
crashed to a black screen and then restarted itself.

I then decided to do a clean install of Windows XP in case there was
some problem with my Windows ME installation that had carried over to
the upgrade.  I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP
again, then I installed the latest Windows XP drivers for all my
hardware:

Microtek Scanmaker 5900
HP CD Writer model 8220E
Soundblaster AudioPCI 128 sound card
Creative Modem Blaster v.90 PCI DI5630-5
SanDisk SmartMedia card reader
HP Photosmart printer model 1218
NVIDA GEForce2 MX/MX 400 videocard

File System is FAT32

I tried to run the defrag program again to analyze my hard driver and
it crashed again.  I got the blue screen of death because I disabled
it from automatically restarting after a crash and got an error
message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL

***STOP: 0X0000000A (0x7fffffff, 0x00000001, 0x804e414e)
Beginning dump of physical memory.

HELP!

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping