[windows_errors] [WEMRM_WinXP] Spyware website ALERT: Block it before it's too late

  • From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: what_error_messages_really_mean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, what_error_messages_really_mean_winxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pro_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mycomputerheadaches2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, computersupport_2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:26:48 -0800 (PST)

SPYWARE WEBSITE ALERT:

Do not click the following link. It is extremely spyware-active and therefore
infectious:
http://posterscifi.s5.com

Add it to your HOSTS file usually located here (in XP):
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Add this line to your HOSTS file then save it the HOSTS file WITHOUT a FILE
EXTENSION:

127.0.0.1 http://posterscifi.s5.com

If this is way too much for you, read the article I cited below which explains
the nuts and bolts of a HOSTS file or you can email me privately and I can send
the modified HOSTS file to you. Make sure you rightclick it and set it to
Read-Only in Properties to lock it since spyware sites like PosterSciFi did try
to change my HOSTS file in an attempt to hijack my browser. In case you already
visited the sites, and you have no spyware protection when you did, contact me
at this forum or at http://www.savemybutt.com or you can email me privately.
I am a moderator there <under the handle Sparky>. Explain your situation and
mention also that I sent you there to get your system inspected.

If you don't have one, I will send you one or download it here:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip
You have to extract the HOSTS file from the above because it is a compressed
file. If you have Windows XP, if you doubleclick the file, XP will offer to
extract it. Extract it to a folder or to your desktop where  you can find it.
Then move it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc if you are using Windows XP. If
you are using other Windows version, go here to find out where you can put your
HOSTS file:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
The article will also explain what HOSTS file does. Basically, it blocks you
from going to those bad sites that are known spyware or malware infectors
(trojans and automatic phone dialers are only a few examples of what a malware
is).

Also, in your Internet Explorer, add http://posterscifi.s5.com to the
Restricted Zone of your Security settings thusly:
Launch IE>Tools>Internet Options..,>Security tab.
Click the Restricted icon in the "Select a Web content zone..blah blah" box
then click the Sites... button.
Type http://posterscifi.s5.com in the "Add this web site to the zone" field
then click the Add button.
Click OK>OK.

Also make sure that you have at least a good popup stopper. I use two:
1. Google Toolbar: http://toolbar.google.com
2. Panicware's PopUp Stopper - http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html
When I went to the website, I was Spybot's TeaTimer, SpywareGuard, WinPatrol
went on alert and they gave me this report:
1. My HOSTS file was modified
2. 3 nasty CWS browser hijacks infected or tried to infect my system
3. IE settings and Registry entries were attempted to be modified
On top of that, website upon website upon website (seemed endless stream)
popped up..I couldn't close them fast enough until I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and
terminated everything. My system slowed, even the shutdown. So I did all my
scans in Safe Mode (HINT -- don't do it in Normal Mode) and found the pests
right away. So now everything is back as they should. For me, it was an easy
fix, since I know what to do. If you are newbie in the spyware-fighting game,
you will not know what to do. Hope this ounce of prevention which I am
recommending here will shield you from future malware infection.

Everything that I recommend here are free. And there are no spyware bundled in
any of them.

GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs, 30-day trial. Military discount. Only $14.95 a month. Dump
iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

<<< Just a friendly reminder to please trim your messages as a courtesy to
members on Digest Mode and/or still using Dial-Up connections and have to pay
for their time to download the mail. Directory: http://wemrm.8m.com/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/