[windows2000] Re: win2k or xp as a temp router ?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:11:42 -0700

>From: Ben Waa [mailto:kwanm63@xxxxxxxxx]
>My CISCO router went dead on me at a remote location.
>I tried to whip up a quick temp. router solution with
>a server that already had two nic cards in our
>network.
>10.0.0.0 , 11.0.0.0
>I added a third nic to connect to our 192.168.0.0
>network. I addressed all the nic cards and on the
>server I was able to ping the 3 networks. But I was
>not able to route traffic.
>I recall seeing a checkbox in NT that would enable you
>to forward ip packets but I couldn't find it in win2k.
>I'm assuming in XP it's in the same area.
>I think I could had added static routes statements to
>the server but I was hoping that I could enable
>"routing" on the server till I get me RMA from cisco
>next business day.
>Anyways, I coax the router back to life so it's ok but
>I'm still curious.

No problem, you need to enable TCP/IP forwarding, see MSDN article 230082
for the registry tweak, then just set up some static routes and you're all
set.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides