[windows2000] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:17:36 +0000 (GMT)

AFAIK, the main thing you lose going to Native AD is the NetBIOS support which
is how NT,Win9x clients etc. in a Lan Manager environment communicate.  With
Native AD NetBIOS is not present hence the need for the AD client etc.

Going to Native AD also means that any app's communicating via pure NetBIOS
mechanisms will fail to work correctly or even at all.

That's my view of Native AD mode from memory and some experience, anyone care
to update or correct this - plkease feel free.

Mark

 mustafa <mustafa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David,

Once you have upgraded or migrated all your NT4 or other Microsoft Windows
downlevel domain controllers to Windows 2000, you can basically switch to
Native Mode. If you have any NT4 member servers they will be fine and can
exist on the network. The issue with going Native lies only with downlevel
Domain Controllers like NT4 PDC/BDCs.

You Win9x clients will operate fine in a native mode environment. However,
you will have to install the AD client on all your Win9x clients so they are
able to use AD features.

Good luck

Mustafa