[windows2000] Re: "copy of filename"

  • From: "Richard F. Strait" <rfstrait@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 01:05:05 -0600

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:20:23 -0500 "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> > Please, buy a book! This list is for real problems.
>
> This list is for anything Windows 2000 related.  Richard Strait is
> more than
> welcome to post any Windows 2000 question he wants without judgment
> from
> anyone on this list.  I suspect that Richard Strait could teach us
> all a
> thing or two considering he seems to be very "old school."  I like
> his fresh
> perspective on what has become of Microsoft operating systems these
> days.
>
> Ray at home

Thanks Ray, in fact, you are right, I am a retired computer systems
analyst and came up through the ranks from big main frames to PCs. I
retired at about the time PCs began to take over. One of my prerequites
just before I retired was to make systems intuitive and not a mystery to
their users. I began on PCs at the command line level! Although GUI has
its advantages, its shortcomings far outway its advantages in my view!
Editing with GUI is a pain as you cannot block columns or sort in a
document as possible with old standby of Qedit. Attempting to manage
files is also a pain because of the design of Windows Explorer and the
immense size of hard drives these days. It seems that partitioning of
drives is not popular these days, but provided a means to better manage
directories (folders) and their contents. Enough of my ramblings, but I
just had to vent my feelings!

Richard F. Strait
rfstrait@xxxxxxxx