[windows2000] System restore

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:05:38 +0200

Hi all,

Our win2k oracle-db server bsod:ed last night, possibly due to the MS-patch
Tuesday.

At boot it stated the %systemroot%\system32\config\software hive was corrupt. I
managed to copy the software-file from %windir%\repair and it booted properly,
but the users can't connect to the db. As far as I can see in Process Explorer,
the db starts up properly. At least oracle.exe is started. I'm a db-noob and
our
db-admin is on paternity-leave...

I was thinking, does Win2k have some kind of system restore facility, because
rstrui.exe doesn't work...?

I *think* if I somehow could load up the old software-file in regedit, I could
copy back the hklm\software branch from the old software-hive to the new
software-file.

Or should I rather try to put back the old software-file and boot "last known
good..."-thing instead?

Any insights?
--
BW,