[windows2000] Re: Slow Win2k print server

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:32:31 -0800

Thx for the reply!

Only one print queue. One Win2k Server has printer added to it with
standard TCP/IP port pointing to printer's IP address. This printer is
shared and other computers simply connect to the Win2k Server.

PRINT SERVER SETUP (WINDOWS 2000 SERVER):
Server name:    PRTSVR01
Printer name:   Xerox7700
Printer port:   Standard TCP/IP
  - IP Address: 192.168.0.200
  - TCP Port:   9000
  - Protocol:   RAW
Shared:         YES

REGULAR WORKSTATION SETUP (Windows XP Pro):
Printer: \\PRTSVR01\Xerox7700

When printing from workstation the print job gets transferred to the
server and added to queue really fast but then takes forever to actually
be sent to the printer.

Why does sending the print job thru the Win2k Svr slow things so much?
(It's really quick if each workstation is setup to send the job directly
to the printer's IP address; but then we'd have no print server and thus
no queue!)

(BTW, we decided a while back to use standard TCP/IP ports that come
with Windows 2000 rather than the HP JD Software as it's easier to set
up and faster.)

Alfonso