[windows2000] SV: DHCP servers in a Windows 2000 AD network

  • From: "Svein Arild Haugum" <svein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:28:44 +0100

You can only have one DHCP server "pr adress".

You can not have
Server 1: 192.168.0.1-255
Server 2: 192.168.0.1-255

But you can have:
Server 1: 192.168.0.1-130
Server 2: 192.168.0.131-255
(This would not work if you use most of your subnets adresses. But if you have
a high lease time, you have good time before clients starts renewing while one
server is down.)

A DHCP client renews his lease after 50% of the total lease time. If the server
that gave him the adress is not avaliable, it tries again, until something like
80% (Not sure about the exact number) before it tries a broadcast, and gets an
adress from the second (or third) server.

This way one server would host adresses if the other goes down.

DHCP is a "Cluster enabled feature". But this requires 2 * Windows 2000
Advanced Server, and some quite expensive hardware. I would not think you
should buy a cluster just for DHCP, but you might use the cluster for this if
you have it for other features, like file sharing or Exchange.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;226796

Mvh
Svein Arild