[windows2000] Re: RRAS as a router

  • From: "Condon, Mike" <M1C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:47:28 -0600

Yes, this all is familiar, but not exactly what I found in practice. The
RRAS server has two cards, one on the local net and one on the internet/dmz.
Each interface of course is statically assigned, with the proper dns, wins,
default gateway. On the client end from what I recall (and I'll verify this
once again when no one's around), the proper inheritance was not getting
passed from rras - the client I tested was keeping their defaults.
I had set the static address pool, and "Use the following adapter to obtain
dhcp, wins, dns..."
set to our LAN/Intranet adapter.

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Condon, Mike Posted
At: Thursday, March 18, 2004 2:53 PM Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] RRAS as a router
Subject: [windows2000] RRAS as a router

We currently have our RAS server (Windows 2000) on the same network as one
of our main floors, with the rest of the server farm. It's using DHCP, so
it's of course assigning addresses on that network.
I've tried making it route, but unless I'm really missing something there
was no place to assign anything beside the address & mask - so the wins,
dns, default router etc. are not getting forwarded to the clients. So they
get an address, but can't do much beyond that.
Before I attempt this again, can some of you maybe clue me in on what I'm
overlooking?