[windows2000] Re: Print Spooler being a pain

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:19:15 -0400

Use http://www.thin.net/pdmanager.zip or the microsoft printer compatibility tool on the server CD to determine if all of the drivers are indeed windows 2000 drivers. You may have some NT 4.0 ones or older ones.

Have you set the recovery options under services for the spooler service for it to automatically restart? If not you should. The other thing you can do is set up a script to clear out the printers folder when the spooler crashes and set it to run under the services applet when the service stops.

Jim

Greg Reese wrote:

The print spooler service has been dying on my main file and print server on a pretty regular basis. I clean out the spool folder, start it up and it is ok. Sometimes for an hour, sometimes a few days, sometimes a week. Then it starts doing it again.

In the event log, I have some print spooler errors. The print spooler terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 9 times. Etc, etc.

It has been pretty dodgy. This server is a domain controller, holds all the file shares and all the printers.

We only have about 80-90 users logged in a time. I don't consider that too much to handle for a DC and file and print services. We have 46 printers on this server. Most of them sit idle. Printing is light.

Any ideas on what can cause the spooler to crash like this? It has been fine for a long time. We have not added any new drivers recently. The server is Windows 2000 SP4 and is up to date with hotfixes from Microsoft.

Thanks!

Greg

******************************************************** This Weeks Sponsor StressedPuppy.com Games Feeling stressed out? Check out our games to relieve your stress. http://www.StressedPuppy.com ******************************************************** To Unsubscribe, set digest or vacation mode or view archives use the below link.