[windows2000] Print Spooler being a pain

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:53:08 -0400

The print spooler service has been dying on my main file and print
server on a pretty regular basis.  I clean out the spool folder, start
it up and it is ok.  Sometimes for an hour, sometimes a few days,
sometimes a week.  Then it starts doing it again.

In the event log, I have some print spooler errors.  The print spooler
terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 9 times.  Etc, etc.

It has been pretty dodgy.  This server is a domain controller, holds all
the file shares and all the printers.

We only have about 80-90 users logged in a time.  I don't consider that
too much to handle for a DC and file and print services.  We have 46
printers on this server.  Most of them sit idle.  Printing is light.

Any ideas on what can cause the spooler to crash like this?   It has
been fine for a long time.  We have not added any new drivers recently.
The server is Windows 2000 SP4 and is up to date with hotfixes from
Microsoft.

Thanks!

Greg