[windows2000] Re: OT-Monitor Settings

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:44:39 +0200

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:28:30 -0400, Ron Leach wrote:

>To view in stereo one would need a specialized monitor cover (screen).  Kind
>of like those ant-glare screens.  See www.stereographics.com  Only one
>monitor is needed.

Not neccesarily. We use 3D-glasses together with regular CRTs on
our Linux-PCs and SGIs for molecular modeling. Infact eDimensional

>www.edimensional.com

has a very cheap and excellently working solution with their wired
3D-glasses. They're working so good I bought a set myself to and
use them at home when playing Unreal Tournament (UT) and UT2k3 etc.
8-)

>The difference between 85Hz and 100Hz - 120Hz is quite noticeable in stereo
>viewing.  At 85Hz it looks similar to a fluorescent bulb on the verge of
>going out.

Yeah, think of it as two pictures, of which each should run at
about 60-70 Hz. Ie the refresh rate set to 120-140Hz. Many
monitors, or even video cards, can't go that far up unless lowering
the screen resolution significantly.

>What puzzles me is that the box that I moved this monitor to has a much
>better video card.  The settings on the original box showed a setting of
>120Hz but now on the new box all I can get is 85Hz??

Could a driver update help? Also try unchecking the "show only
supported modes" on your graphics settings. Pls be aware that some
settings might not be good for your monitor, however I'd say that
for testing it should be ok.

The cards associated with the 3d-glasses we use, are nvidia quadra
something or other. They were specifically ordered for their
ability to show stereo pictures at a reasonably high resolution and
refresh rate (I think they are run at 1200x1024 at 100-120Hz, or
some such). The SGIs run at slightly higher values.

Not all graphics cards are very good at 3D. Higher end nvidias
(like geforce-type ditos) seem to work better than say ati.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. -
Arthur Bloch