[windows2000] OT: .Net Programming Versions

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:07:47 -0500

Sorry for the OT post...

I have a package running my media at home called MediaNet.  It is
extensible by writing your own modules, and in particular, I am trying
to add a new kind of Interface Module.

There is little documentation, so I am kind of flying blind...

The MediaNet package itself (and all of the built in interfaces) was
developed in VB 2003.

If I try to create the Interface (as a compiled Class Library DLL) in
VB2003, no problem.  It loads correctly.

If I build the same interface DLL in VS2008, no love... the module
starts to load, but never even gets to the "Init" method before it is
unloaded.

Unfortunately, the base application is a services, so I get very little
in the way of error reporting.  But I don't think that the application
is actually calling the DLL at all... It appears to be incompatible, and
I'm not sure why.

Does anyone have any experience developing a Class Library DLL using a
later version of VB than the calling application?  I thought that was
kind of the goal of Class Libraries: make the code more portable and
modular, no matter where the DLL is used later.

Am I missing something obvious?  I feel stupid...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.