[windows2000] Re: OT : Anti-Spam for Personal use

  • From: "Andrew Duey" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:08:33 -0600

OT : Anti-Spam for Personal useI have used 2 programs for personal Anti-Spam.

One is called Choicemail (www.digiportal.com) and acts as a pop3 relay.  It
uses return addresses to match up against a white-list and black list primarily
(if you aren't on either you get a challenge message for authentication).  If
you want to see this in action, you can send me an e-mail (andrew at duey.biz).
 It also allows for complex rules based on headers, domains, subject lines,
etc.  Since I installed it 1.4 years ago it has blocked over 174,725 junk mails
from my personal e-mail box.  They have a 14 day trial.  It's a little
complicated, but works well for power users.

The other which I heard about on the Kim Komando radio program was Qurb
(http://www.qurb.com/products/qurb-spam.php)  I tried it on my wife's computer
and it looked good.  It was a much lighter tool, and much simpler.  Unless
someone was on the list (whitelist) then it would move the e-mail into a junk
mail folder, then you could review and approve senders.  It is supposed to send
a challange to unknown senders, but I didn't get that to work (but I didn't try
too hard either).  Near the end of the expiration period my wife's HD crashed,
and we didn't load it back on the machine since she doesn't have much of a junk
mail problem.  The also offer a downloadable trial.

--Andrew Duey, MCSE
Duey's Computer Service