[windows2000] Re: NTDSUTIL precreate

  • From: "Dennis Appelboom" <dennis.appelboom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:57:53 +0200

Mob. +31 (0)6 45 10 81 84
E-mail: dennis.appelboom@xxxxxxxxxx

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Dan Manell [mailto:dan.manell@xxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent:   vrijdag 23 mei 2003 0:04
To:     windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [windows2000] NTDSUTIL precreate

Hi.

Does anybody have any experience with the NDTSUTIL-command precreate?
I've found next to no information about it. Supposedly it should =3D
precreate a
sub-domain in the forrest so that someone other than an enterprise admin =
=3D
can
join the domain to the forrest.

It doesn't seem to suffice with just precreate though (Sorin can tell =
=3D
you,
he was at the other end of a "practial" experiment). Here at the =3D
University
the campus covers a lot of ground and is scattered about our town, so
eliminating the need for Enterprise Admin presence would speed domain
joining quite a bit. (Let's not get into why so many domains it's such a
bother. Let's just leave it at "politics", "territorial" and "Microsoft
licensing model". ;-) )

When trying to join the domain that was precreated, replication fails =
=3D
with a
cryptic message like "busy" or some other. (I can't remember the exact
message. Sorin, can you?) But I'm not yet convinced this is related. But
it's a bit more of a coincidence than I'm comfortable with.

Any help is appreciated.

/Dan

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D