[windows2000] Re: Money to spend (for once)

  • From: "Andy Wolstenholme" <a_wolsten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:56:04 +0000

Thanks chaps,

It has been useful to bounce this idea off you guys as the feedback has created
a few more areas for investigation. Maybe i could divulge our situation a
little more.

We are basically purchasing a new server for our DR site, which will also be
used for remote offsite data and email synching (expensive solution but
downtime is a real issue).
Therefore, I will be suggesting the purchase of a new server but implement the
new unit in to live infrastructure replacing one of our existing servers,
therefore freeing an old (ish) server for DR.  The question being - where to
implement the new power - Exchange/applicatin or File/application.

I guess this really comes down to the current system performance levels which
need to be calculated. Any suggestions on how to do this.

I have archived your suggestions as these are issues which i am already
compliing proposals for, both the SAN and test lab...

Thanks again

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:27:45 -0700From: jkenzig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
[windows2000] Re: Money to spend (for once)To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'd get as big a San as I could and if enough get 2 beefy Servers with VMWare
ESX along with Vmotion. Then you can add many more servers in the future easily
and also have a way to test and migrate to new systems.

Jim Kenzig
Andy Wolstenholme <a_wolsten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chaps,I realise thise may be a little off the topic but need some advice and
you guys have never failed.Have been given some money to throw at
infrastructure and trying to decide where to upgrade, either the Exchange
(2003) or the File server.Both are happily running and am newish to the company
so it is difficult to forecast growth. From your experience where is the
processing power needed more. Which areas tend to increase preformance
requirements more rapidly. If you were given some dosh, where woudl you invest
it?Any advice is greatly appreciated.PS. any expenditure must be allocated
within infrastructure. A fast car is not acceptable. I know becuase i
asked...*****************************New Site from The Kenzig Group!Windows
Vista Links, list options and info are available
at:http://www.VistaPop.com***************************** To Unsubscribe, set
digest or vacationmode or view archives use the below
link.http://thethin.net/win2000list.cfm