[windows2000] Re: Is ntuser.dat machine specific???

  • From: Mobeen Azhar <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:06:49 -0600

NTUSER.DAT is not machine specific, it contains the user's HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive and not any machine specific settings. You can safely copy it safely from machine to machine.

One thing to watch out for when you copy ntuser.dat from machine to machine is that not all machines will have the same software installed on them. For example if an application is installed on one machine and that application starts itself automatically upong logon by putting a reference to itself in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, and you copy the ntuser.dat for that user to a machine that does not have that application installed, then it is very likely that the user will see an error message when the user logs on.

--Moby

Anthony Abraham wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if the ntuser.dat file can be used across any Intel
workstation hardware on Windows XP Pro.

Im creating a standard desktop for 1000 desktops in the organisations Im
working at.  We have a mix of different hardware (some HP, Dell etc) but all
running Windows XP.  Im looking at configuring the computer to the company
standard via the administrator account then copying the ntuser.dat file to
the default user profile so all users use the same settings.  I was hoping
to use the same dat file on the various hardware.  Will this work?? Can the
same file be used on laptops or will I need to configure the settings the
same on each brand of desktop/laptop?

Thanks Anthony ________________________________________________________ NOTICE The information in this email and or any of the attachments may contain; a. Confidential information of Credit Union Services Corporation (Australia) Limited (CUSCAL) or third parties; and or b. Legally privileged information of CUSCAL or third parties; and or c. Copyright material of CUSCAL or third parties. If you are not an authorised recipient of this email, please contact CUSCAL immediately by return email or by telephone on 61-2-8299 9000 and delete the email from your system. We do not accept any liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, interruption or any damage generally as a result of transmission of this email. ******************************************************** This Weeks Sponsor StressedPuppy.com Games Feeling stressed out? Check out our games to relieve your stress. http://www.StressedPuppy.com ******************************************************** To Unsubscribe, set digest or vacation mode or view archives use the below link.

http://thethin.net/win2000list.cfm

-- --Moby

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. -- Pastor Martin Niemöller