[windows2000] Re: Is ntuser.dat machine specific???

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:27:59 -0500

Sure that is how roaming profiles work.
JK

-----Original Message-----
From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Anthony Abraham
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 5:58 PM
To: 'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [windows2000] Is ntuser.dat machine specific???

Hi

I was wondering if the ntuser.dat file can be used across any Intel
workstation hardware on Windows XP Pro.

Im creating a standard desktop for 1000 desktops in the organisations Im
working at.  We have a mix of different hardware (some HP, Dell etc) but all
running Windows XP.  Im looking at configuring the computer to the company
standard via the administrator account then copying the ntuser.dat file to
the default user profile so all users use the same settings.  I was hoping
to use the same dat file on the various hardware.  Will this work?? Can the
same file be used on laptops or will I need to configure the settings the
same on each brand of desktop/laptop?

Thanks
Anthony